Last modified: [last-modified]
2013-04-04 – People are starting to report Google authentication is working again!
2014-01-07 – Fixed Dropbox link, mirror should have still been working. People are reporting this issue is happening again. I’ve moved on to a Q10 so I won’t be much help this time.
Today I was trying to build myself a custom map in Google Maps and then load it up on my Blackberry 9810 running Google Maps 4.5.3. When I tried to sign-in to Google Maps I was instantly signed out.
Some quick research online shows this is a known issue that Google has acknowledged on March 11th, 2013 but not fixed yet.
There is a work around I found online that few users have had success with (I was not one of them):
- Uninstall Google Maps 4.5.3
- Reboot your device
- Download Google Maps 3.0.1 (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22772464/GoogleMap-v3.zip) (Mirror: GoogleMap-v3)
- Extract it and copy it over to your Blackberry
- Run GoogleMap-v3.jad and install it
- Launch Google Maps and accept the license agreement. If all you want is Latitude you might want to stop here until Google fixes 4.5.3 because the next step may or may not work.
- Go to m.google.com and download Google Maps 4.5.3
- Restart your device if prompted. If not don’t worry about it.
- Launch Google Maps and see if you can stay signed in. Some people reported success with this method. I did not.
Since I wanted access to custom maps I’ve created and not Latitude this is what worked for me:
- Launch Google Maps 4.5.3
- Go to ‘Layers’
- Go to ‘More Layers
- Go to ‘My Maps’
- The instant the ‘Signing In’ box dissappears repeat steps 3-5 quickly and tap your custom map
If you’re fast enough your custom map will load into Google Maps and remain cached. It took me a couple tries but I eventually got it.
Thanks ton for sharing this information. I hd been struggling with the new update to google maps on my BB. Un-installed it, re-uinstalled it and yet nothing seemed to help. Finally, what worked for me was the second section to your post. :) Kudos to you!
Thank you so much !
It’s still work in 2016 !
Wow. Great to hear!
Thank you. Still works.
Above mentioned steps work fine. You should install v.3 run it to pass the terms and conditions close the app and then upgrade immediately to v4.5.3 and it will work fine after reboot, but never do reset working Google maps v.4.5.3 from the help menu. Otherwise you have to start over even on old working device!!!! Get the original final version of Google maps v.4.5.3 (OTA) from google itlsef at: http://dl.google.com/dl/mobile/maps/BlackBerry-47/GoogleMaps.jad
Thanks for the info. Glad to see this article is still useful.