Exchange ActiveSync account disappearing after reboot on a Blackberry Z10

Last modified: [last-modified]

Update – 2013-04-17

Looks like after I upgraded my phone to 10.0.10.822 (from AT&T) this issue has gone away.

 

Update – 2013-04-16

After some trial and error I might have found a workaround for this bug. Disable Memo and Task syncing. They don’t work anyway. After doing that my Exchange account survived multiple reboots. Then when I turned syncing them back on my Exchange account disappeared on a reboot.

 

Original post

1… 2… 3 broken accounts muh ha ha ha

I just got a shiny new Blackberry Z10 from work for testing purposes and have run into a show stopping bug. We use Exchange 2003 at work and I setup my account on my Rogers Z10 (OS 10.0.10.85) using ActiveSync. Everything appears to be working just fine until I reboot the phone, pull the battery or the battery dies. If that happens my Exchange account ends up disappearing from the configured mail accounts list on the device but it still shows in the Blackberry HUB. Even the e-mail is still all there but when you try to load a message it say “Could not display this message”.

I don’t appear to be the only one having this problem:

The only way I’ve found to get rid of the phantom mail accounts is to wipe the phone and set it back up again from scratch. Of course if your battery dies, you reboot the phone or have to pull your battery you’ll end up in the same situation again. Hardly seems worth the effort.

I’ve also tried reloading the Blackberry HUB by swiping diagonally from the top right to the bottom of the screen a few times. This did not help.

I tried backing up my device using Blackberry Link, wiping it, restoring the backup and that cleared up the broken accounts while putting all my data back. Problem was after the restore I could no longer launch Lastpass. Even if I deleted Lastpass and re-installed it from App World I still could not launch it. I then had to wipe the phone again and skip restoring from my backup.

I’ve contacted Rogers and they are putting me in touch with their support reps that can actually talk to RIM. I’ll update this post if a resolution is found.

Outlook Web Access (OWA) 2003 displays “Loading…” when users login

This patch Tuesday after reboots we had users trying to login to OWA on our Exchange 2003 servers. They would authenticate fine and see their folder list but could not see the contents of their inbox or interact in anyway with the OWA interface.

Users that chose the ‘Basic’ OWA interface could see their e-mail but certain things wouldn’t work like sending e-mails.

Some quick Googling turned up this article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280823

Which I followed but found no resolution to my problem.

After digging through the IIS log files on our Front-end Exchange server did I find the cause of the problem:

2012-05-10 16:25:49 W3SVC1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx GET /exchweb/6.5.7651.60/controls/vw_navbar.js - 443 - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/5.0) 404 3 50
2012-05-10 16:25:49 W3SVC1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx GET /exchweb/6.5.7651.60/controls/util_owa.js - 443 - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/5.0) 404 3 50
2012-05-10 16:25:49 W3SVC1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx GET /exchweb/6.5.7651.60/controls/util_owa.js - 443 - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/5.0) 404 3 50
2012-05-10 16:25:49 W3SVC1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx GET /exchweb/6.5.7651.60/controls/util_view.js - 443 - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/5.0) 404 3 50
2012-05-10 16:25:49 W3SVC1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx GET /exchweb/6.5.7651.60/controls/vw_message.js - 443 - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/5.0) 404 3 50
2012-05-10 16:25:49 W3SVC1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx GET /exchweb/6.5.7651.60/controls/util_buttons.js - 443 - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/5.0) 404 3 50
2012-05-10 16:25:49 W3SVC1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx GET /exchweb/6.5.7651.60/controls/ctrl_view.js - 443 - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/5.0) 404 3 50
2012-05-10 16:25:49 W3SVC1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx GET /exchweb/6.5.7651.60/controls/ctrl_view.js - 443 - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Mozilla/5.0+(compatible;+MSIE+9.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+WOW64;+Trident/5.0) 404 3 50

Every time IIS tried to serve up a JavaScript (.js) file a 404.3 event would be logged.

According to Microsoft 404.3 is an error with MIME Types in IIS. More information can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942032

In the end the fix was:

  1. Login to our Exchange Front-end Server
  2. Open the IIS MMC
  3. Right click on the server name in the IIS MMC and choose ‘Properties’
  4. Click ‘MIME Types’
  5. Click ‘New’
  6. Enter the following information:
    Extension: .js
    MIME Type: application/x-javascript
  7. Click ‘Ok’
  8. Click ‘Ok’
  9. Click ‘Apply’ and ‘Ok’
  10. Restart IIS either via the Services MMC or by running ‘iisrestart’ from command prompt.

 

References