I support a Windows 2003 Active Directory Domain, until today only Windows XP clients and Internet Explorer 8.
We use a proxy server to filter and monitor the internet and we push the configuration for that proxy server via Group Policy. Our current GPO works perfectly with Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8.
Today we got our first Windows 7 client and I noticed the proxy settings from our Windows 2003 Active Directory Domain were not applying top the Windows 7 machine running Internet Explorer 9.
It turned out there were two reasons the settings were not applying. The first is a no brainer. I hadn’t updated my Internet Explorer Group Policy Administrative Template to support Internet Explorer 9. That was easy enough to fix by going here and updating my Administrative Template.
After updating the Administrative Template I figured I’d be done. Turns out I was wrong. I ran ‘rsop.msc’ and ‘gpresult /r’ and both showed the proxy settings were being applied but Internet Explorer wasn’t using our proxy server.
Turns out there was a second problem and it was FAR more difficult to figure out. I did some research and found others complaining about this problem. Removing proxy settings for ‘GOPHER’ from their Internet Explorer GPO resolved the problem for the majority of these users. To remove GOPHER settings open up your group policy and make the following tweak:
User Configuration Windows Settings Internet Explorer Maintenance Connections Proxy Settings Uncheck 'Use the same proxy server for all addresses' Delete any settings for Gopher and SOCKS
This didn’t solve the problem for me but it may have had a hand in it.
The second thing I had to do in my case was to disable caching of auto-proxy scripts and disable changing automatic configuration settings. My understanding from the post I read was that the cache can become corrupt and cause a bunch of problems. To make this change open up your Internet Explorer GPO again and make the following changes:
User Configuration Administrative Templates Windows Components Internet Explorer Disable caching of Auto-Proxy scripts: ENABLED Disable changing Automatic Configuration settings: ENABLED
Once I’d made both of those tweaks I ran a quick ‘gpupdate /force’ and that was it! Things started working properly.
There seems to be a bug in Internet Explorer 9, or at least the version I’m running, where if you go into the proxy settings under ‘Internet Options’ you won’t actually see your proxy servers name in the ‘Address:’ box. I’ll see if that clears up once I get Windows Updates working on these Windows 7 machines or when we get to Internet Explorer 10.
8 thoughts on “Proxy Settings pushed by GPO not applying to Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9”
This site was… how do I say it? Relevant!!
Finally I’ve found something that helped me.
I had exactly same problem and disabling caching of auto-proxy scripts fixed my problem. Thank you very much for sharing this information.
settings not working with explorer 11
You have to download/install the Internet Explorer 11 templates in your Central Store (if you’re using one) and then create a Internet Explorer 10 policy using Windows 8/Server 2012 R2 or newer. It’s idiotic but the only way to do it.
Templates are here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=40905
If you are not using a Central Store then you need to install the templates into each of your domain controllers instead.
Once you have the templates installed if you’re going to use Windows 8 or 10 to create your GPO you will need to install these so you can edit GPO’s remotely:
Windows 8.x: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=28972
Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=45520
Personally I have a central store and use a Windows 10 VM with the above tools installed to create the GPO.
Dear Eric Schewe
We are using ADS on windows 2003, i downloaded the adm file from microsoft site
and followed your instructions brother, it didnt work
kindly see if the problem is resolved some how !
Few other things that changed to.
Check this out and see if it helps: https://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/group-policy-internet-explorer-10-death-iem.html
Remember you have to create your GPO using Windows 8.x, 10 or Server 2012 R2. If you use Windows Server 2003 GPO MMC to do it you won’t be able to create a GPO that applies to anything newer than IE8.
Dear Eric Schewe
It worked both ways Thankyou very much,It worked……..
another good registry tweak that i found while working was as follows
Nutshell is that i want to say Thank you Very Much for you most kind support
May GOD Bless you
Glad to hear it’s all working.