Error 1603 when upgrading vCenter 6.0u1 to 6.0u2

Recently ran across this one:

 

The upgrade would get to the VCSServiceManager step, fail and back out. It then left our existing vCenter 6.0u1 installation unable to start.

I did all the standard things you’ll find on VMwares Support site (and recommended by the support rep I got a hold of):

2119768 Error code 1603 when upgrading to vCenter Server 6.0
2127519 Installing the VMware vCenter Server 6.0 fails with the vminst.log error: MSI result of install of “C:\vCenter-Server\Packages\vcsservicemanager.msi” may have failed : 1603
2137365 Upgrade of vCenter from 5.x to 6.0 fails with “Installation of component VCSServiceManager failed with error code ‘1603’. Check the logs for more details.”
2113068 Upgrading or installing VMware vCenter Server 6.0 fails with the vminst.log error: Error in accessing registry entry for DSN
2119169 Installing VMware vCenter Server 6.0 using a Microsoft SQL database fails with the error: An error occurred while starting service ‘invsvc’

None helped.

While waiting for my VMware Support rep to dig through the log files, on a hunch, I made the following changes:

  1. Checkmarked ‘IPv6’ in the network stack for the servers network card
  2. Re-ran the vCenter installer separately by right clicking it and ‘Running As Administrator’ (\VMware-VIMSetup-all-6.0.0-3634788\vCenter-Server\VMware-vCenter-Server.exe)

The installation then succeeded and we have a functioning vCenter again.

Two fun facts:

  1. The UAC is disabled on our server
  2. IPv6 was (and still is) disabled via the registry using these utilities even though I’ve now re-checked IPv6 in the network cards network stack

Our server is in a fairly unique configuration I suspect but hopefully this will help someone else.