How to upgrade Gitlab 5.0 to 5.1 on CentOS 6 or RHEL6

Last modified: [last-modified]

These are instructions on how to upgrade Gitlab 5.0 to 5.1 on CentOS 6.

This guide assumes you already followed my How to install Gitlab 5.0 on CentOS 6 or RHEL6 post.

  1. As the root user stop the Gitlab service
    [[email protected] ~] service gitlab stop
    # Wait a few moments before continuing. Shutting down Gitlab took 30sec-1min on my system.

     

  2. Switch to the ‘sa_gitlab’ user account and move into your gitlab directory
    [[email protected] ~] su - sa_gitlab
    [[email protected]~] cd gitlab

     

  3. Update Gitlab source from 5.0 to 5.1
    [[email protected]~] git fetch
    [[email protected]~] git checkout 5-1-stable

     

  4. Configure Puma which is replacing Unicorn
    [[email protected]~] cp config/puma.rb.example config/puma.rb
    [[email protected]~] vim config/puma.rb
    
    # -------- Make the following edits --------
    
      application_path = '/data/apps/sa_gitlab/gitlab'
      bind 'tcp://127.0.0.1:65527'
    
    # -------- Save and close the file --------

     

  5. Redeploy Gitlab (I think that’s what this does anyway)
    # You may not need to do this. I ran into some errors during my upgrade but my ISP was having problems at the time. It won't hurt to run these commands either way.
    [[email protected]~] gem install sanitize -v '2.0.3'
    [[email protected]~] gem install jquery-rails -v '2.1.3'
    
    # These commands you DO need to run
    [[email protected]~] bundle install --without development test postgres --deployment
    [[email protected]~] bundle exec rake db:migrate RAILS_ENV=production
    [[email protected]~] bundle exec rake migrate_merge_requests RAILS_ENV=production
    # When prompted choose 'Yes'

     

  6. Switch back to root and update the Gitlab start-up script
    [[email protected]~] exit
    
    [[email protected] ~] mv /etc/init.d/gitlab /etc/init.d/gitlab.50
    [[email protected] ~] curl --output /etc/init.d/gitlab https://raw.github.com/gitlabhq/gitlab-recipes/5-1-stable/init.d/gitlab
    [[email protected] ~] vim /etc/init.d/gitlab
    
    # -------- Make the following edits --------
    # The lines with a + are lines you need to add to the script
    
      APP_ROOT="/data/apps/sa_gitlab/gitlab"
    + APP_USER="sa_gitlab"
    
    # Search/Replace "sudo -u git" with "sudo -u $APP_USER"
    
    # -------- Save and close the file --------
    
    [[email protected] ~] chmod +x /etc/init.d/gitlab

     

  7. Start up Gitlab and then restart Apache if your using mod_proxy
    [[email protected] ~] service gitlab start
    [[email protected] ~] service httpd restart

     

  8. Update Gitlab Shell
    [[email protected] ~] su - sa_gitlab
    [[email protected]~] cd gitlab-shell
    [[email protected]~] git pull
    [[email protected]~] bin/install
    [[email protected]~] bin/check

All done! Hopefully this went slightly more smoothly for you then it did me. I noticed the first time loading Gitlab after the upgrade as a bit slow but things were nice and quick after that.

Updated April 26th, 2013 – Added instructions for updating Gitlab shell.

Updated May 22nd, 2013 – Wrote an article on How to go from 5.1 to 5.2

Exchange ActiveSync account disappearing after reboot on a Blackberry Z10

Last modified: [last-modified]

Update – 2013-04-17

Looks like after I upgraded my phone to 10.0.10.822 (from AT&T) this issue has gone away.

 

Update – 2013-04-16

After some trial and error I might have found a workaround for this bug. Disable Memo and Task syncing. They don’t work anyway. After doing that my Exchange account survived multiple reboots. Then when I turned syncing them back on my Exchange account disappeared on a reboot.

 

Original post

1… 2… 3 broken accounts muh ha ha ha

I just got a shiny new Blackberry Z10 from work for testing purposes and have run into a show stopping bug. We use Exchange 2003 at work and I setup my account on my Rogers Z10 (OS 10.0.10.85) using ActiveSync. Everything appears to be working just fine until I reboot the phone, pull the battery or the battery dies. If that happens my Exchange account ends up disappearing from the configured mail accounts list on the device but it still shows in the Blackberry HUB. Even the e-mail is still all there but when you try to load a message it say “Could not display this message”.

I don’t appear to be the only one having this problem:

The only way I’ve found to get rid of the phantom mail accounts is to wipe the phone and set it back up again from scratch. Of course if your battery dies, you reboot the phone or have to pull your battery you’ll end up in the same situation again. Hardly seems worth the effort.

I’ve also tried reloading the Blackberry HUB by swiping diagonally from the top right to the bottom of the screen a few times. This did not help.

I tried backing up my device using Blackberry Link, wiping it, restoring the backup and that cleared up the broken accounts while putting all my data back. Problem was after the restore I could no longer launch Lastpass. Even if I deleted Lastpass and re-installed it from App World I still could not launch it. I then had to wipe the phone again and skip restoring from my backup.

I’ve contacted Rogers and they are putting me in touch with their support reps that can actually talk to RIM. I’ll update this post if a resolution is found.